Families under the McKinney-Vento Act are in transition due to life experiences and lacking a FIXED, REGULAR, ADEQUATE residence.
- 4% of the total student population in the TFSD are identified as homeless. The national average = 10%.
- This is an increase of 50% more students identified in the past 5 years.
- 64% of students in TFSD qualify for free/reduced lunch.
- May of 2016 TFSD identified 527 children as homeless and 434 were enrolled in school.
- 77% lived “doubled up”
- 11% lived in motels
- 10% lived at a shelter
- 2% lived in a camp trailer/motor home/car
The TFSD reduces barriers by providing a safe and stable school environment. We can assist with:
- Immediate enrollment
- Free lunch/ backpack program/school food pantries
- School supplies/fees
- Hygiene supplies, clothing, shoes, and coats
- Referrals to community agencies for other identified needs besides housing issues. But Twin Falls does lack affordable housing and transportation to assist these families in a timely manner.