Attending a School Board Meeting
How the Board Works
As board members, we are proud of our school system and are dedicated to the continued improvement of the schools in our district. We know that from time to time patrons have concerns that they need to bring to the attention of the staff members or the board. In order to maintain continuity and best resolve these issues, we recommend the following procedures:
- Take the concern to the staff member who is closest to the problem. We believe that most problems can be most effectively resolved at this level.
- If there is still a concern, we recommend that you contact the principal of the school. Often, the building administrator may be able to mediate or resolve issues.
- Difficult issues that are still unresolved after meeting with building administrators should be taken to the Director overseeing the program in questions, and then to the Superintendent of Schools.
- If, after following these protocol steps, the patron still feels the concern has not been properly resolved, he/she may appeal to the Board of Trustees. This is done by calling or writing to the Superintendent and asking for the item to be placed on the agenda of the next regularly scheduled board meeting. Usually, the board will direct the administration to help resolve the issue and ask for a report back to the board at a later date. Please remember, however, that it may take some time to resolve the situation. We appreciate your patience as we work to resolve the situation.
While we hold public meetings, the meetings are not public forums. If you would like to address the board, the following guidelines may help you present your information to the board:
- Prepare your thoughts ahead of time. Usually, a brief, written outline handed to each board member helps them follow your presentation. This outline would also give them something upon which to make notes as you speak.
- If a group is involved, select one individual to be your spokesperson. The spokesperson can guide the presentation to the board and help the board chairman in directing questions to the group.
- Please make your presentation as brief as possible. If more time is needed, it is best to give a complete written presentation to the board for their future study.
- Written materials for board members must be submitted to the Board Clerk. The written material must include the name, address and telephone number of the person submitting it.
Public and/or employee business matters brought before the Board should be submitted in writing to the Superintendent’s office no later than noon on Wednesday preceding a regular board meeting. Items brought up during the section of the agenda, “Unscheduled Delegations” might not be acted upon and, at the Board’s discretion, may or may not be addressed during that regular board meeting.
Due to the sensitive nature, comments or complaints about personnel or individual students will only be heard in executive session. Because of the diversity of issues, members of the board will not respond to public comment. Instead, issues may be recorded and referred to the proper staff person for follow-up. The Chair may interrupt or terminate an individual’s statement when it is too lengthy, personally directed, abusive, obscene, repetitive, or irrelevant.
Individuals wishing to be heard by the Board shall sign up with the Clerk of the Board following these guidelines:
- Sign name and agenda items on sign-up sheet prior to the start of the Board meeting.
- At the discretion of the Chairman, time is be limited to three minutes.
If two or more patrons wish to address the Board on the same topic, they shall choose a spokesperson and that person may address the Board.
NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that the regular meetings of the Board of Trustees of the above named school district will hold regular Board meetings January 2021- through January 2022 the second Monday and the fourth Wednesday of each month with the exception of May, June, August, November, December, at 7:00 p.m. at Canyon Ridge High School, room #301, located at 300 North College Road unless otherwise specified or unless the Board duly cancels any such regular meeting.
This schedule represents the current schedule of regular meetings and supersedes said former schedules.
5:00 p.m. January, 27, 2021 – Work Session (meeting available on zoom – see agenda for link)
February 8, 2021 (meeting available on zoom – see agenda for link)
February 24, 2021 (meeting available on zoom – see agenda for link)
March 8, 2021 (meeting available on zoom – see agenda for link)
March 31, 2021 (meeting available on zoom – see agenda for link)
April 12, 2021 (meeting available on zoom – see agenda for link)
April 28, 2021 (meeting available on zoom – see agenda for link)
May 10, 2021
June 14, 2021 – Budget Hearing
July 12, 2021
5:00 p.m. July 28, 2021 – Annual Meeting/Work Session
August 9, 2021
September 13, 2021
5:00 p.m. September 29, 2021 – Work Session
October 11, 2021
October 27, 2021
November 8, 2021
December 13, 2021
January 10, 2022 Organizational/Annual Meeting